Thursday, April 29, 2010

Its Time to Change My War and My Wardrobe...

Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

God is inviting us to join His war. This battle against the powers of darkness. But what war are we really fighting? I feel that many times I am fighting my own war against what attacks me. Really its probably not suited to be called a war but rather a series of meaningless bar fights against things like anxiety, pressure, insecurity, temptation. But they keep us occupied enough, don't they, that its our whole world.

We all learn to suit up in preparation for these encounters in things like the collared shirt of pleasing others to feel important, the jacket of alcohol to forget worry, the shoes of running away from pressures, etc. I've learned what I think works best for me and wear what I feel best will give me the upper hand in each battle.

But thats not what God calls us to. He has asked us to join a much bigger problem...a full on "war" against all forces evil in this word. This is a much different battle than the ones I face in my life. Its the reality of the world that I am missing while I am busy dealing with my own problems. This war is the real cause of the problems. I need to start fighting for something bigger than myself...why? Cause its my nature. Who doesn't secretly want to be Aragorn or Gandalf and enter into a situation that is bigger than themselves. It makes life worth something.

But this is a different kind of war that requires a different wardrobe. My old clothes won't do any good in a real battle. I need the armor of God. To put on the true uniform of a soldier designed by the mastermind and general himself to defend and conquer in this war.

Its time to change my war, and my wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment