Saturday, May 29, 2010

God-Sized Questions Require God-Sized Answers

John 5:1-17
"Do you want to be healed?" -This is the question Jesus asks a man who has not been able to walk for 38 years. "Do you want to be healed?" When i first read that my answer is HELL YES this man of course wants to be healed! BUT, that is not the answer the man gives.
Jesus asks him if he wants to be healed and instead he answers "Sir, I have no one to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, and while I am going another steps down before me." The man simply answers that he needs someone to help him in and out of the pool so he can have temporary moments of healing every once and awhile. It seems to me he has completely lost all hope that he could ever be healed so instead he just asks for small human sized answers to his God sized problem. He simply asks for a temporary fix instead of believing that true healing is possible.
I think I do this often in my life. I have a problem and then when God asks if he can help I tell him "If you could just do this small thing that would help me feel a little better..." NO. God asks only questions he knows he can answer. He would not ask "Do you want to be healed?" if he knows he could not heal totally. I cannot allow the world to dull me so much that I lose the mentality that ALL things are possible. And in order to see those things I must start asking and expecting God sized answers to God sized questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment